The Policy area of the Lazaridis School of Business & Economics at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Canada invites applications for the position of Lazaridis Chair in Global Business Strategy. The position is subject to budgetary approval, with an anticipated start date of July 1, 2018. (IE-scholars Editor’s note: candidates with interest in international entrepreneurship research are encouraged to apply)
- An earned doctorate in management with a focus on global business strategy related to management issues of technology firms (i.e. firms that develop and sell technology or firms whose business model is critically-enabled by technology).
- A proven and active research agenda related to global business strategy related to management issues of technology firms.
- A distinguished record of scholarly achievement as evidenced by high-impact publications in internationally recognized peer-reviewed journals.
- A distinguished record of effective teaching in related area(s) of expertise.
- Experience in working with technology firms on their global business strategy.
- An international reputation and a record of leadership roles on editorial boards, advisory boards, and in professional academic associations.
- An ability and commitment to provide leadership that will contribute to the further development of research and teaching within the Lazaridis School of Business & Economics.
- A capacity to enhance the profile and status of both the Lazaridis Institute for the Management of Technology Enterprises (LI) and the Lazaridis School of Business & Economics within the University by developing strong and active links with other disciplines and faculties within Wilfrid Laurier University.
- An ability and commitment to engage in substantial research collaboration with industry partners.
- A proven competence to generate significant research funding.
- A recognized ability to lead research collaboration and foster a culture of inquiry, collegiality and creativity.
- A proven track-record of attracting and supervising high-calibre doctoral students.
Principle duties and responsibilities:
- Assume a leadership role in strengthening and profiling global business strategy research and education within the Lazaridis School of Business & Economics.
- Work with the Research Director of the LI, Professor Nicole Coviello, to provide academic leadership in the development of a research stream dealing with global business strategy in the context of scaling technology enterprises.
- Enhance the School’s profile through the publication of high-impact research, establishing collaborative research networks and promoting inter-disciplinary, inter-institutional and international research partnerships.
- Contribute to the development of academic programs and courses reflecting the importance of global business strategy at the Lazaridis School of Business & Economics.
- Provide excellent teaching in undergraduate and graduate programs in the Lazaridis School of Business & Economics.
- Provide research leadership and mentoring to colleagues, junior faculty and PhD students within and across disciplines.
- Work with the Dean of the Lazaridis School of Business & Economics to ensure the development and maintenance of a research-based culture within the Lazaridis School of Business & Economics.
- Attract and supervise high-calibre doctoral students and funding for research.
- Enhance the reputation of the Policy area, LI, and Lazaridis School of Business & Economics through high-level engagement with the business community and through the dissemination of knowledge to wide society, both nationally and internationally.
The Lazaridis Institute for the Management of Technology Enterprises was established in 2016 to help Canadian technology companies become globally competitive. LI has three mandates: 1) help firms reach their next level of growth through innovative new programs and a global network of expert mentors; 2) conduct insightful research to develop new knowledge about management as it relates to technology companies; and 3) create links between international research, management best practices and curriculum to directly benefit the students at Wilfrid Laurier University. For more information, please see: The Lazaridis Institute for the Management of Technology Enterprises.
The full description of the job opening can be found here: Lazaridis School Position 2017